Saturday, March 9, 2013

ranunculus

I finally got some ranunculuses! They are such beautiful flowers with an odd name! They're also called Persian Buttercups. The scientific name is Ranunculus asiaticus. I've seen some beautiful arrangements with these flowers especially when grown in clusters. I find the white ones are so pretty because they have a touch of green.

A bag of ranunculuses

The ones I picked up were available at the Union Square Greenmarket. One particular vendor was selling them $3 each, or 2 for $5. The colors were limited but I picked out some nice ones; a goldenrod yellow, two white ones, and this pretty mauve. It's always best to pick out potted flowers that have not blossomed and have multiple buds when possible. The ones I got were opened with some buds. I did get one that was a single flower but I liked the color. It was the only one of its color that I saw. The flowers stay in bloom for about 4 to 6 weeks; at least that is what I am told.

Ranunculuses are spring bloomers and return each year. Their corms look like mini bunches of bananas, which can be divided. I'm hoping to also get some seeds from these flowers. I'm not sure what the seeds look like or how easily I can acquire them but I'm sure I can find out through the World Wide Web.

I've planted them in one of the Root Pouch planters and they look great together. :)

Transplanted ranunculuses

Persian buttercups

No comments:

Post a Comment