Monday, June 4, 2012

tiny terrors

Following up with an earlier post regarding a terrarium of carnivorous plants, which I eventually did get but not to my expectations. The shorten version is that I got a kit of parts for a terrarium but with no proper instructions of how to put it together and the plants I received were not in great conditions or sized to fit in the shapely but squat apothecary jar.

Luckily, I found someone in my area who is well experienced and knowledge about carnivorous plants. He will be opening up an online business for growing carnivorous plants called Midtown Carnivores (MC). MC was very helpful in explaining what I needed to do to rehabilitate my plants, and provided me with the proper growing media to plant them in. He also explained that carnivorous plants do not grow to their best potential in an enclosed terrarium so keeping it in an apothecary jar was no longer an option.

I'm happy to report that with MC's instructions and media, my plants are doing well, growing, and "eating".

Drosera

Drosera

Sarracenia

Sarracenia

Cobra lily (Darlingtonia californica)

Cobra lily (Darlingtonia californica)

In addition to providing me media for my plants, MC spared two plants that he established and are healthy. One is a sundew and the other is a butterwort. It helped me to have these healthy plants because it helped me to understand and observe how a healthy plant should look. I was really excited when I first noticed a desiccated bug on one of the butterwort's leaves.

Pinguicula

Drosera capenis (red)


No comments:

Post a Comment